Since 1640, First Parish has welcomed individuals and families of all sizes and shapes and origins.
We welcome those who identify as members of the LGBTQ community, and we welcome their allies.
We welcome you wherever you are on your faith journey, and look forward to your questions and answers enriching ours.
We welcome you if you are a Unitarian Universalist, come from another faith tradition, or have never thought about going to a church until today.
We welcome you to join in worship with us, where we celebrate, honor and contemplate together through word and music and silence.
Like most congregations, we are a collection of individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, personalities, and political views. But unlike more traditional congregations, we are also diverse in our religious beliefs. We value our differences and embrace our uncertainties. We recognize that the pursuit of spiritual understanding is both lifelong and individual. It is a journey we are sharing, learning from and leaning on one another along the way.
We draw wisdom from many sources, including:
- Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
- Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
- Wisdom from the world’s religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
- Humanist teachings that counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit;
- Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions that celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.